This podcast episode focuses on the specialist editorial skill of Indexing. How important is an index to the sales of a book? What skills do you need to be an Indexer and how much does it pay? We interview Ruth Ellis from The Society of Indexers and find out the answer to these questions and more.
Listen here: https://www.bookcareers.com/specialist-editorial-skills-indexing-bookcareers-live/
This course provides basic information on writing back-of-the-book indexes and working as a professional indexer. It is not intended to substitute for a comprehensive indexing course but is appropriate for individuals wanting to explore indexing as a career. This course will also inform both editors and self-publishing authors by providing an overview of the process of indexing and working with indexers.
More information: https://www.canvas.net/browse/canvasnet/courses/indexing-books
This free email course by Stephen Ullstrom demystifies the indexing process. In seven daily lessons, delivered to your inbox.
More here: http://www.stephenullstrom.com/indexing-decoded/
Parts 4 and 5 in a series of articles about indexing by Ælfwine Mischler:
Book Indexes — Part 4: The Metatopic
Indexes — Part 5: Names in Indexes
The September 2018 issue of ‘Catalogue and Index’, is a special issue on indexing. This periodical is published by the Cataloguing and Indexing Group, a Special Interest Group of CILIP (Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals).
You can download a PDF of the whole issue or individual articles at https://www.cilip.org.uk/members/group_content_view.asp?group=201298&id=760736
- FAST forward? By Alan Danskin
- Methodologies for classifying repositories, by Robert T. Kasenchak
- Subject indexing in a repository, by Clare Playforth
- History of index creation, by Helen Bilton
- Comedic indexes, by Paula Clarke Bain
- Foundation of the Society of Indexers, by Rosemary Dear
- Directions in indexing, by Pilar Wyman
- Changed needed in the subject index, by Liz Antell
- Online language classification, by Lucile Deslignères
- Machine translation, by Lynne Bowker
- Retrospective cataloguing Case study, by Max Zanotti
- CILIP Conference 2018 report, by Lynn Thorn
- Letters & responses
Part 3 in a series of articles about indexing by Ælfwine Mischler:
Book Indexes — Part 3: The ABCs of Alphabetizing
A group discussion list for professional indexers as well as anyone interested in indexing books, journals, and other print and electronic media, the freelance life, and the business of indexing.
Want to know more about back-of-the-book indexing? Read these blog posts by Ælfwine Mischler explaining the basic vocabulary and process:
Book Indexes — Part 1: Basic Vocabulary
Book Indexes — Part 2: No Magic Wands