The September 2018 issue of ‘Catalogue and Index’, is a special issue on indexing. This periodical is published by the Cataloguing and Indexing Group, a Special Interest Group of CILIP (Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals).
You can download a PDF of the whole issue or individual articles at https://www.cilip.org.uk/members/group_content_view.asp?group=201298&id=760736
- FAST forward? By Alan Danskin
- Methodologies for classifying repositories, by Robert T. Kasenchak
- Subject indexing in a repository, by Clare Playforth
- History of index creation, by Helen Bilton
- Comedic indexes, by Paula Clarke Bain
- Foundation of the Society of Indexers, by Rosemary Dear
- Directions in indexing, by Pilar Wyman
- Changed needed in the subject index, by Liz Antell
- Online language classification, by Lucile Deslignères
- Machine translation, by Lynne Bowker
- Retrospective cataloguing Case study, by Max Zanotti
- CILIP Conference 2018 report, by Lynn Thorn
- Letters & responses
A blog post on ideasonfire.net by Cathy Hannabach
Part 3 in a series of articles about indexing by Ælfwine Mischler:
Book Indexes — Part 3: The ABCs of Alphabetizing
A group discussion list for professional indexers as well as anyone interested in indexing books, journals, and other print and electronic media, the freelance life, and the business of indexing.
The Freelance Career Launch Series by Stephen Ullstrom is a set of posts about how to start your freelance career. The focus is on indexing, but the principles are universal. Read it here:
The Digital Publications Indexing Special Interest Group of the American Society for Indexing provides the resources from the presentation “How to be the Interface between Publishers and Digital Indexing Techniques” by Terry Casey, Jan Wright, and Pilar Wyman and presented at the ASI Conference, Cleveland, OH on 28 April 28 2018.
It includes the following pdf files:
- Benefits of eIndexes
- Questions for Indexers to Ask Clients (Authors/Publishers)
- Matrix Flowcharts of Software Tools, Processes, and Outputs
The Digital Publications Indexing SIG co-organized a meeting along with the New England Chapter of ASI and Bookbuilders of Boston, held Thursday evening, April 5, 2018. Read Heather Hedden’s blog post about it: https://digital-publications-indexing.org/index.php/2018/04/07/joint-meeting-with-bookbuilders-of-boston/
The slides of Stephen Ingle’s presentation “Indexes for Digital Publications: ‘The Battle of the Books’,”: https://digital-publications-indexing.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Indexes-for-Digital-Publications-The-Battle-of-the-Books.pdf
These videos are intended to help introduce new indexers to some the more powerful features of SKY Index Professional and to some of the less well known features.